Thursday 11 June 2020

Squirrel Hunting with an Ostomy

I generally love being outdoors and enjoying the weather.  It really doesn't matter if it is raining or nice and sunny.  All kinds of weather simply makes me feel more alive and I enjoy it!  One of my favorite things to do outdoors is to hunt. To be truly honest I was afraid that having an ostomy would keep me from hunting ever again.  This luckily turns out not to be the case as was most of my misconceptions about living life with a stoma.  It turns out life is pretty much the same just with some extra gear and procedures that come along with it.  Boy that sure is a great thing. Now with all of this I have learned a few things hunting with a stoma.

One of the animals I like to hunt is squirrels.  It is simply because they are fun and tasty.  Yes, I eat everything I shoot. I think it's immoral to do otherwise.  I find the cheap bountiful amount of meat a boost to my income and have learned that having an ostomy can actually help my hunting.  First thing is that it's really nice to not have to go to the bathroom while hunting.  Yes I technically go but I am not spraying my scent all over the forest.  I usually have a good ostomy Supplies bag with me and it holds the scent in very well.  Now I also use scent blocking clothing and I am certain that it also helps.

Which is the second coolest part of an ostomy, the scent blocking ability that using a bag has.  Now I usually pick up a bag from ostomy Supplies that also has belt loops on it.  This allows me to cinch it into my body so it doesn't make as much noise when I am out and about. Being quiet is a really important aspect of hunting and having that capability really makes me psychologically feel better about my situation. 


Generally I am a stalking hunter when it comes to squirrel hunting and I like to be on the move.  So being able to be mobile with my gear and quiet is awesome and important.  I usually use my old remington 870 that my father gave me and I have found it to be a really easy and inexpensive way to put meat on the table for myself and my family. So I want to say hunting is great, and it is completely doable with an ostomy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Squirrel Hunting with an Ostomy

I generally love being outdoors and enjoying the weather.  It really doesn't matter if it is raining or nice and sunny.  All kinds of we...