Thursday 11 June 2020

Best Deer Hunt with an Ostomy

Last year was certainly a great year for me.  One I wasnt trapped inside thanks to covid-19 and two I also was able to hunt.  Last year was an absolutely amazing hunting season and it brought me home with more meat in one day than I had ever had before. The reason why it was so amazing is that I ended up taking the largest deer I have ever gotten and I did it with an ostomy bag on.  These are two things that just absolutely make me smile and it should be a big boost to anyone who just had an ostomy surgery. I want you to know that nothing is beyond your reach and you should go after all your goals.

So this year the weather was absolutely amazing.  Generally, the temperature is below 30 degrees and snowing or possibly right around 32 degrees and raining where I live.  This makes it rather uncomfortable to be outside for hours upon hours at a time.  Now for ostomy gear I usually strap up with a ostomy Supplies bag and belt. I really like this company because they gave me the hint to get a bag with loops so I could keep a belt on me and not let my bag be very mobile.  Ostomy Supplies actually gave me a hunting tip and that was really cool.  It allowed me to move around without my gear making more noise.  This is really important to me and they understood it. So this year I started in a stand.

This means that I had to climb up and wait for a long time.  I waited the whole morning from dawn until noon in my stand.  Then I decided to start an afternoon stalk.  This simply means that I would walk the grounds and try to do so as quietly as I possibly could. This is honestly my favorite type of hunting because it's more difficult.  If you find a deer, the deer is likely going to be just as surprised as you or he will know you are there before you know he is there. 

Well this year I was just as stealthy as the deer and I noticed him 60 yards away right when he noticed me.  We looked at each other and for the split second that he froze I did not. It ended up being a 176 lb buck and has filled my dinner table with meat for several months now.  I am so happy to be able to hunt with a stoma and still be successful and I hope you have the courage to go out and do your favorite things as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Squirrel Hunting with an Ostomy

I generally love being outdoors and enjoying the weather.  It really doesn't matter if it is raining or nice and sunny.  All kinds of we...